HFD awards 3 men with Medal of Valor | Community Spirit
Three men who braved a night-time rescue in giant waves received a much-deserved award on Wednesday.
The Honolulu Fire Department gave them the Medal of Valor, the department's highest civilian award.
After a night surf session at Waimea Bay Josh Echemendia, Robin Bond and Igor Lumertz noticed a body board that washed up on shore.
After a quick search they rescued a man stuck in the treacherous shore break-on the Haleiwa side of the bay.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Keiki Bicycle Safety Rodeo at Kapolei Library on May 18
- HSPLS Continues Internet PC Reservations Upgrade: 6 Oahu Libraries Start May 13
- Mayor Caldwell announces town hall meeting schedule
- Wahiawa Library Will Offer New Thursday Evening Storytime Starting April 18
- Learn About Medicare Abuse Prevention at Two Oahu Libraries in April and May